Day 249 : Selling Time

The pre-war heritage shophouse on the right is the office I work in. My desk’s window (not shown in pic) opens out to face the strapping condominiun opposite. From where I sit, I can catch glimpses of a pool and a gym. Landed properties and condominiums are a status symbol in Singapore for only the top 20% can afford to pay insane prices for a private property. The remaining 80%, like myself, are dwellers of government housing (Housing Development Board flats).

Not that I mind. I love my HDB home. But to my mum’s generation, living in private property is a mark that their offspring ‘has made it in life’. So that kind of make me feel like I suck. Compared to many close friends my age or slightly younger, I’m the lowest paid in terms of monthly renumeration and annual package.

I used to think that government boards and linked agencies paid less than privately-owned companies be it local or MNC. In today’s employment climate, that’s a fallacy.

Perhaps I’m not capable enough. Maybe my skillset is not the cashcow of the industry my company is in. Or that’s what it can offer at best to stay competitive. Employee loyalty is a thing of the past, likewise a company that will take care of you for life is a fading urban myth.

What are we left with to work for so that we and our families don’t starve when our value is eroded in the long-run?

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Walter Lim
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 07:09:07

    I don’t think you should be so hard on yourself or worry too much about the 5 Cs. How many of your peers can claim to have travelled to so many countries around the world for free, seen a side of Singapore that few can lay claim to, or have acted in a leading drama serial? How many of them can claim to have such a following of loyal fans, or to have a plethora of life experiences that money truly cannot buy?

    We are all unique and special in our own ways. Like you, I have many peers who have done exceedingly well. Some have gone on to become permanent secretaries, CEOs, MDs, and super rich entrepreneurs. However, I don’t have any regrets over the life which I chose and the things which I treasure.

    Stay inspired Darren and know that you always have people who respect you for what you’ve done, which is a mean feat indeed!

    Reply

    • Darren Ng
      Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:33:04

      thanks walter for the very comforting and inspiring words. i guess i’m caught up with the worry of being able to retire and as the only child, i have no other close kinship to rely on. thanks for sharing with me ur insight and perspective, i feel so much better! 🙂

      Reply

  2. Scot
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 11:05:07

    Looking for something new can be scary, but sometimes it allows one to find true bliss, and often more money too.

    Reply

  3. jassy
    Sep 09, 2012 @ 21:22:10

    you are blessed in so many ways just because you are singaporean 🙂

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: